Breast Cancer – How YOU Can Help
Unless you live under a rock, you know that October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
The pink ribbons strewn all over the media, the football players donning pink socks and the numerous fundraisers to benefit breast cancer research make it impossible to miss.
But ask yourself, how do YOU react to all the attention on the subject? Does it affect you? Someone in your family? Do you worry that it might affect you or your family in the future?
Maybe you are considering taking part in the effort to put an end to Breast Cancer altogether. With so many options for contributing, where do you start? Take a gander at the list below for ways you can help in this effort.
If you have a few dollars to spare, these are a few of the organizations that are reputable and trustworthy:
- The National Breast Cancer Foundation‘s mission is to provide help and inspire hope to those affected by breast cancer through early detection, education, and support services. They provide education about breast cancer and early detection, as well as mammograms to those who are uninsured or can’t afford them.
- The Breast Cancer Research Foundation is a nonprofit organization committed to achieving prevention and a cure for breast cancer. We provide critical funding for cancer research worldwide to fuel advances in tumor biology, genetics, prevention, treatment, metastasis and survivorship.
- Donate to Susan G. Komen and choose where your money goes: toward Metastatic Breast Cancer Research, General Breast Cancer Research, National Support and Education, or their General Fund.
- Or you can give to these little known but ‘Awesome’ breast cancer charities!
Short on cash but still want to help? Try getting involved locally by participating in these events:
- Participate in a Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk. Search your zip code for one near you!
- Help people affected locally through My Breast Cancer Support by having a Dress Down Day at the office, hosting an event, or these other ways.
- Spread the word about these local fundraising efforts coming up!